Monday, July 27, 2009

Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

I have a 3 month old wiermerner. He has started to loose his hair all over his body. His paws are swollen. His nails are chipping away. There is blood coming out inbetween his toes. His nose is FASTLY loosing color. His lips are swollen and pink. He turns red. This is all happening at once. He has been tested for mange(the two types) they both came out negative. Has anyone experienced this before with there pet?



I have taken him to the vet... 3 times in one week. They keep running tests on him and everything is ending up negative.



Also... He is not acting as if he is in any pain. He eats, sleeps, and plays(just not as much as most puppies do). He started showing signs 7 days ago. He has not gotten into any chemicals and he has been given the same food since got him.



Please do not advise me to take him to the vet. Like I said I have done that 3 times in a week. Also he is scheduled for ANOTHER appointment tomorrow. I just wish someone had experience with this situation.



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

Did they check his thyroid levels? In end stage thyroid disease there are skin symptoms. Many vets miss this. Call them and see if they checked his thyroid levels. The swollen paws with the hairloss are almost a sure symptom of thyroid deficiency.



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

It sounds as though hes got a desease that i cant remember the name of . . . but id keep ur dog close . . . im afraid that if not taken care of he might die



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

are you going to the same vet for all of these appointments? Have you had blood work done so that you know his normal values and what areas internally are being affected? if you live in or have easy access to a large city i would be looking for an emergency clinic that sees unusual cases. if this is not an option check the vet school at your state university.



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

Some autoimmune diseases can manifest themselves as nail loss and hair loss, although it would be EXTREMELY rare in a dog this young. Have there been tests to rule this out? Get a second opinion. If your dog is actively bleeding, it needs a vet NOW.



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

I would switch vets and have the records transferred or pick them up so you will not have to pay for the same tests over, that way they can tell what tests have already been ran.



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

He has worms. It's an easy fix, go to the vet and get some medication. Hope he feels better!



Update: HELP my dog is sick and I don't know with what?

Poor little soldier! You've been so good to him, lucky lad, so take no notice if someone slags you off on here regarding vets and stuff - a lot of people don't read the question properly and their answers reflect that! One thing springs to mind - have you tried an oatmeal bath? Don't go spending loads of money on this one, its so cheap and easy to do at home. have you got any porridge oats? The type you have for your own breakfast? Good! Put the plug in your bath and fill it half way up with warm water, do the elbow test ( if its too hot for your elbow, its too hot for your dog! ). Take a box of oats and mix it in with the bath water, it'll thicken up a bit but thats ok. Place pupppy in the mixture and bake for - only joking - seriously, put your pup in the bath and knead the oats into his skin, don't add shampoo or anything else, just the oats will do! Leave him in the mix until you think its too cold for him to be in there anymore. Before you lift him out, just wipe the oats off but don't rinse them all off. Yes its messy and yes he can't go on your lap as usual for a while but let the oats dry into his skin. Leave him like that for about a day, day and half, up to two days, then brush the dry oats out with a soft brush. He'll look as if he's got the worst case of dandruff in the world but who cares?, he's your best mate and needs a bit of ease with this skin condition! The dried oats will soon work their way off his body and he'll look as he normally does and he'll feel so much better for it. This bath also works really well with our skin but we can't leave it on for two days ha ha ha. I hope this helps your little one, it normally works wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment