Monday, July 27, 2009

Breed my dog (problem)?

Hi, I have a puppy who is a border terrier, and she is really a fantastic specimin of the breed and we would really love to breed her because we feel she would produce some fantastic puppies. The thing is she has a cleft palate, not a hair lip just a very small cleft palate on the soft palate at the back of her mouth. I was just wondering what your opinions would be, do you think its wise not to or because its so small, take a chance??



Breed my dog (problem)?

Please donot breed her and worsen congenital problems in the breed.



Breed my dog (problem)?

Do not breed her. Cleft palates are heriditary. Talk to a reputable breeder about her (that breeds border terriers) and see what they would say. Chances are they wouldn't breed your dog because of the heriditary fault.



Breed my dog (problem)?

The dog, from your own statements, already has ONE SERIOUS GENETIC FLAW.



Babies and animals with genetic flaws usually have multiple flaws.



Your dog is NOT a fantastic specimen of the breed. She's a carrier of a genetic flaw which makes her TOTALLY UNQUALIFIED to be bred. If you ignore this and breed her, then your actions will be HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE!



Genetic flaws are inherited. If she had pups, even those who did NOT have the same flaw would have the genetic markers to pass on this flaw. Those pups which were born with the same flaw could have serious health problem from this flaw and other hereditary flaws which may be transmitted with it.



If you bought this dog from a registered bit**, you should report this hereditary flaw to the AKC, or whatever agency the dog is registered with.



Breed my dog (problem)?

dont breed her...never breed a dog with a birth defect or anything like that...they should be used for a companion only and mothing more...that would be passing on the trait to have health problems



Breed my dog (problem)?

Well you have a puppy with a genetic flaw so there's #1 reason it doesn't qualify for breeding. And have you ever heard of 'kennel blindness'? It's how it's quite possible to think your dog is better than it is, and the main reason people show dogs. That way they gain an unbiased evaluation of how well a dog stacks up to the breed standard, so don't be fooled into trying to be your own judge, even experts rely on other people's opinions! Really, it's the whole point of showing a dog



Breed my dog (problem)?

I would never breed a dog with any kind of birth defect or any genetic condition.



Spay her and keep her as a great pet!



Breed my dog (problem)?

Are you insane??



You're fortunate that she survived. What in the name of anything makes you think she should be bred? The odds are that 1/2 or more of pups would have the deformity. Many puppies with this deformity die shortly after birth due to inability to suckle/feed.



Spay your little girl and forget about ever breeding anything until you know more.



Breed my dog (problem)?

It would be wise to have her spayed. Although you may think she's a fine specimen, she obviously carries a genetic disorder. She may end up producing puppies who have an even more severe cleft palate.



There are other fine specimens of border terriers out there, that do not have genetic faults to pass on. The point of breeding is to breed away from health problems.. not to throw them back into the gene pool.



Breed my dog (problem)?

Get her spayed. You wouldn't want to breed that problem into her puppies. I really wouldn't take the chance of it and if some of the puppies were born with it and they had to be put down for it. I couldn't live with myself with that.



Breed my dog (problem)?

I'm sorry. You just cannot breed defective dogs. It is wrong. I don't see anything wrong with breeding dogs with any color coat or markings, but when it comes to temperament issues or medical issues you just cannot do it. It's wrong.



Breed my dog (problem)?

it is very much a genetic flaw and could be passed on to puppies and it would be alot worse then your dogs. I'm not trying to be rude but i find it hard to believe that this puppy was sold with out a spay contract,obviously she did not come from a reputable breeder.



I'm sure you love your dog and think she is a beautiful example of the breed but unless you have her evaluated by a reputable breeder that knows just what a Border Terrier should look like you may not see her faults. I'm sorry to say purebred and papers does not make her a good candidate to breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment