Saturday, August 1, 2009

Is it possible that my dog's fur is just now starting to grow at age one?

My papillon just turned one a few weeks ago. I recently noticed that her hair is growing thicker and longer- around her ears and belly mostly. Is this normal for the breed, or is my papillon just kind of a "late bloomer"?



I know that for papillons, their ears may be floppy at birth, but rise after two years. If their ears stay floppy, they are the 'phalene' variety. But is their fur growth the same way?



Is it possible that my dog's fur is just now starting to grow at age one?

It's not at all uncommon for the adult coat to come in between 8-18 months of age. It will get thicker, and usually you will see more fringe on the ears and hind legs. If she's spayed, her coat should stay this way. If not, her coat will fall out when she comes into season, then grow in thick again when she is done.



Is it possible that my dog's fur is just now starting to grow at age one?

At about one year you will start to see the fringe. It takes about 3 years after that for the long, long hair to come in on the ears.



Make sure you brush it every day (esp. behind the ears) once the fringe comes in otherwise you will get mats and it will take longer to grow out. Another thing, if you take her to the groomer to get a trim remind her to NOT cut the ears and tail. A lot of groomers are not experienced with papillons and cut their ear-hair off. I had a friend who has a show papillon and a new groomer cut her ear hair off and ended up with a lawsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment